Preparing for Oral Surgery in Buenos Aires, Argentina
As an experienced dentist Argentina patients turn to for sophisticated oral health treatments, Dr. Samuel Pelcman is dedicated to providing superior care throughout every stage of treatment. If you are undergoing a Buenos Aires dental implants procedure, or another type of oral surgery such as root canal therapy, read the instructions below carefully, and contact Drs. Pelcman’s Practice with any questions.
Aspirins and contiguous drugs
Aspirins and other analgesics listed below can not be consumed during two weeks before the surgery since they increment the bleeding tendency. For this reason, it is of high importance that you examine the contents of any medicine before consuming it. Many medicaments for headaches, flu remedies, etc. contain aspirin, also known as ‘acetylsalicylic acid’.
List of medicines that should NOT be consumed before surgery:
If you are unsure about the contents of any of these drugs of a medicament, ask your pharmacist or your doctor.
Herbal medicines and nutritional supplements
Some herbal medicines ad nutritional supplements can also increment the bleeding tendency. Please interrupt the use of any supplements two weeks previous to the surgery. Do not hesitate to contact us if you have further questions.
If you regularly take vitamin complexes, you can keep taking them. However, if you are specifically taking E-vitamin, please interrupt the use of it two weeks previous to the surgery because it can also increment the bleeding.
- If you are taking prescript drugs, please let us know. If you are taking anti-hypertensive drugs, keep taking them.
- If you are taking anticoagulant drugs – for instance, Coumadin – you will have to see your cardiologist for an interconsultation. The dose is generally suspended 48 hours previous to surgery.
- If you are taking anti-pain drugs such as for arthritis, please let us know. Many of these medicines contain aspirin.
In case you show certain cardiac affections (for example: mitral valve prolapse with cardiac insufficiency, bacterial endocarditis history, valve prostheses, congenital cardiopathy, etc.), your dentist has to prescribe an antibiotic prophylaxes that consists on 2g of amoxicillin one hour before the intervention (for penicillin allergic patients, 600mg of cindamycin one hour before treatment).
Nicotine in any of its shapes, including cigars, cigarettes, chewing tobacco, and even nicotine patches, can adversely affect the healing of the wound. We strongly recommend stopping the consumption of any kind of nicotine two weeks before and after surgery. The success of the surgery can be affected if the consumption of tobacco is not stopped.
On the same day of surgery…
- Do not vigorously exercise on the same day. The increment of blood flux can also increment the possibility of bleeding.
- Wash your face with soap
- Get dressed in loose clothes and eat before coming.